…is almost as hard as finding a good husband.
Kidding, honey. Maybe.
But, really. A good desk chair is something that is important if you’re going to be sitting in it all day – or if you work from home – or if you’re even on the computer for more than an hour at a time. A bad chair can make your back hurt, your neck hurt, and more.
For those of you that know me, I’m a pretty ‘frugal’ person. Let me draw that out in a better sentence. I can’t justify spending hundreds of dollars on stuff like a desk chair. It needs to be a reasonable cost and be comfortable. And it needs to make my back feel good and not make me feel like I’m hot or cranky or straining or irritable or…well, you get the point.
About a year ago, I purchased this chair for my desk. (Clicking on that link takes you to Amazon, by the way, if you want to view it in more details.) It costs me about $120 bucks. High on my end, but again, go back to the ‘it must not make me an angry human’ paragraph up above.
I ended up buying this one and couldn’t decide if I was going to like it or not. It seemed like a good idea. (Notice the past tense here.) But, there are a certain few things I look for in a chair:
- Ability to prevent tilting of back
- Ability to raise/lower
- Ability to adjust the lumbar support
- Ability to adjust arm height
I figured since this one had a neck rest and a lumbar ‘cushion’ and a raise/lower bar, the high back option would be good. I didn’t check for adjustable arms because I falsely assumed most chairs that titled themselves ‘ergonomic’ would have this feature. However, that’s something I quickly learned isn’t standard. It’s a feature that you need to look for when you’re buying a chair, if that’s important.
Well, my kid has this chair now because he thinks it’s a super cool chair. I got rid of it because of a few things that really irritated me:
- Lack of ability to raise and lower arms.
- Arms too far apart from the ‘center’ of chair. (I literally felt like there was a lot of space between my thighs and the arms, and since this had a ‘lip’ around the edge of the seat, it felt even weirder.)
- The lumbar support was miserable. I couldn’t ever get it right and when I did, it moved.
- It felt ‘heavy’ in the front. When I scooted it forward, it always tipped forward. I’m sure that’s because I wasn’t sitting in the chair all the way or something, but it’s almost impossible to sit in a chair all the way and scoot it forward. (Seriously, try it.)
- Material. The leather made me HOT. I hated feeling like I was sweating in this thing.
I started my search again and I knew I was looking for a few key things this time and shopped around at Amazon, Wal-Mart, Staples, Wayfair, etc., but finally settled on this office chair at Staples.
I ordered it online and went to the store to pick it up (this is becoming one of my favorite feature of stores – it means a LOT less time in a store with screaming children!) and it was ready to go when I got there.
My husband and son put it together tonight and it was very easy to put together. Instructions were super simple and screws were nicely labeled with colored paint/individual bags.
So, here’s what I like about this chair:
- I got this chair for 94 bucks (saved 5 bucks by picking it up) after a 52% discount online. Not bad. Actually, a lot better than my fancy pants chair up there above.
- Mesh Fabric
- Oh, I’ll never buy a leather chair again. This just feels better.
- Lots of adjustments
- Lumbar support (and it feels AMAZING to my lower back!)
- Tilt support/tension
- Arm height adjustment
- Back height adjustment
- Seat position adjustment (forward/back)
- Standard height adjustment (up/down)
I really struggle to find a good chair and I wanted to make sure that if you were looking for a chair like I was, check out Staples.
They have all kinds of ways to save some cash:
- Order it online and pick it up
- Open a ‘More‘ Account
- This is like a Staples credit card
- See if becoming a member through your business helps you save some $$
- Watch for sales!
Thanks to Staples for a good chair! I really love this chair – and now clearly, I need to buy 1 more for my husband’s desk now that I know this is a darn good deal and is a great chair.
Save your money on those fancy gaming chairs, folks. This one is a good buy!